November 13, 2020
- We WILL have practice as usual tonight and tomorrow.
- We are forced to cancel the rest of this session.
- We do not know when we will be able to resume again.
- The swim-a-thon will happen TOMORROW, Saturday November 14!
- Same time, same place, one week early.
- Coach Michael is doing his best to adjust his schedule to be able to attend, but he may not be able to.
- I will NOT have prizes ready for you tomorrow. I will have to make arrangements to connect with you once everything is in. Specific details on prizes & the raffle will be emailed as soon as I can.
- DONATIONS: With the sudden change, I am extending the donation deadline to Monday, November 30. If you have potential donations coming in, please keep collecting. Online donations are now encouraged! All donations turned in by the 30th will be put towards prizes!
- What do I need from you? An email letting me know if you can make it tomorrow and if you can do the same group or need to switch times. In addition to letting me know if you can make it, you can also go back on the signup page and see what groups have openings to switch to, cancel your spot, etc.
November 12, 2020
PRACTICE NOV 16-21 Normal practice all week! SWIM CAPS DURING PRACTICE Be sure your swimmer has a swim cap for practice - especially for those with longer hair. They are essential to help keep hair out of the filters. And it is causing a lot of frustration during practices when hair is constantly in faces. This is NOT optional! SWIM-A-THON IMPORTANT INFO
- Send in money raised as you raise it! This is crucial as I prepare prizes, etc. I need to gather a lot of things before next Saturday. Having tons of money come in last minute will add an extra challenge to the day. If possible, please have final money in by next Friday night, November 20. All final donations must be turned in on Saturday the 21st when your swimmer comes to swim in order to be eligible for prizes.
- As a reminder, if parents would like to watch, the balcony will be open. There is a limit of 2 parents ONLY. No siblings or substitutions. If any parent is interested in being on deck - we can have a couple tracking laps. Otherwise we will have other swimmers cover this. Please let me know by Wednesday if you are interested.
- I am going to try to decorate for the day. If anyone has any fun swim type decorations they are willing to contribute, let me know. This year is not going to be quite the celebration we typically have, so I am looking for ways to add a little something special to the day.
November 5, 2020
PRACTICE NOV 9-14 • Normal practices all week. SWIM-A-THON IMPORTANT INFO If you are planning on participating, we need you to sign up and get your $50 minimum raised and turned in by Tuesday. I know this is quick, but due to prolonged shipping, we need to have our shirt orders submitted by Wednesday. Please continue to raise funds after that! This is just to get our initial steps secured. • Link to sign up: https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/757021878961824059/false#/invitation • Link to see current fundraising status & event details: http://riverfallsswimclub.org/sat/ ○ You can also use this to submit donations vis credit card, but this is not preferred as we will be charged the fees associated with the donation rather than cash/check.
THANKSGIVING WEEK • We will have normal practices on Monday 11/23, Tuesday 11/24, Wednesday 11/25 & Saturday 11/28. • There will NOT be practice on Thursday. • Friday's group WILL NOT have practice. • Thursday's groups will practice on Friday! • To help us plan staffing, please fill out this quick, 3 question survey, by the 15th. https://forms.gle/SVMcNWwq1HZP4DzX9
October 30, 2020
PRACTICE NOV 2-7Normal practices all week.*Reminder of no practice tomorrow, Oct 31. Oh, and set your clocks back an hour! SWIM MEET HELP TOMORROW - OCT 31 I could still use one more timer and one more adult runner tomorrow. We need everyone at the pool office by 1pm. We should be done about 4:30pm. Please sign up ASAP here. SECOND PAYMENTThe second half of your payment will be automatically deducted from your payment on file on Monday. Before then, I will apply credits to those families who have them from last year and get updates emailed out. You can view details on your account. Follow these steps: - Log into your Gems team account - Select "Transaction History" from the left navigation - Scroll down and click on "Show/Hide Scheduled Payments" - If you have more than one swimmer, at the top right of the page, select your name to open the drop-down menu and select "switch member"
SWIMMER OF THE MONTH - OCTOBEREach month, coaches look at the swimmers to determine if we have a swimmer of the month. To be considered for this, the Coaches are looking for things like a positive attitude, hard work, showing improvement on technique, being on time for practice, listening to coaches, respecting teammates, etc. The swimmer of the month can see Brenda in the pool office for a special "swimmer of the month" swim cap! Congrats to our swimmer of the month: PAYTEN PEARSON! EXCITING NEWS!We have been given permission to hold our Swim-A-Thon on Saturday, November 21 from 10am-3pm. For those who have been a part of this before, it will have to look quite different. There will be 3 sessions to choose from in that time frame. I will be sending out an email this weekend with all the details on what this event is (for our new swimmers), how it is going to work, changes from the norm, etc. PLEASE WAIT WITH QUESTIONS UNTIL THE INFORMATION COMES OUT! WINTER SESSIONWe hope to hold our next session from Nov 30-Jan 23. We are working on the details of this right now. Once everything is in place, we will be emailing everyone. This will likely not be until mid-November. Thanks for making it to the end of this! Have a great weekend and remember to send me pictures of kids in costumes by Saturday night for our Facebook contest!
Brenda K. Derks
October 23, 2020
PRACTICE OCT 26-31We will NOT have practice on Saturday, Oct 31 HELP NEEDED AT HIGH SCHOOL MEET OCT 31We will need timers & runners Saturday, Oct 31 in the afternoon. There will be 2 timers at each lane. Runners will be needed to escort swimmers from the gym into the pool. We will need everyone in the hall outside the pool office by 1:00pm. We hope to be done around 4:30, give or take depending on how diving goes in the morning, etc. I have created a google sheet to sign up. I am asking for phone number and if you text in case I need to send out updates on timelines, etc the morning of the meet. Responsible swimmers in our PS or S groups can help. We are asking any parents to step up as well. Link to SignUp Sheet
LOCKER ROOMSStarting Monday, the high school has given us permission to use our small locker rooms AFTER practice in a limited capacity to change out of wet suits and put on warm cloths. PLEASE talk about this with your swimmers & we will at the pool as well. - We will NOT be using the showers - Masks must be worn the entire time - Swimmers will continue to undress at their chairs on deck - After practice, a small group will be sent in to quickly change - There are blue Xs on the floor in spots they are allowed to stand to change - NO GOOFING AROUND OR THIS PRIVILEGE WILL BE TAKEN AWAY - Once changed - COME BACK TO THE POOL - DO NOT exit to the hallway - Swimmers will go back to their chair & wait to be sent out - If a swimmer does not want to go to the locker room, they can continue to put on warm cloths over their suit on the pool deckWe need this to go well. Small restrictions are being lifted as we are able to safely navigate this. We are doing our best to keep swimmers, coaches, and those at the high school safe and healthy.
WEATHER UPDATESWe have apparently reached bad weather season. In the event of bad weather, please watch Facebook/Instagram/Emails. This is how we will push out changes. No school or canceled school activities does not always mean we will not have practice.
Thanks & have a great weekend!
October 16, 2020
PRACTICE OCT 19-24Normal practice all week MASKSBe sure your swimmer is coming to practice with a mask. This is a mandate that must be adhered to. If not, your swimmer will need to be sent home. This is for everyone's safety as well as mandated by the school district to use their building. SECOND PAYMENTIn your registration materials, it stated your second half payment would be deducted on October 25. I will be moving that out a week to November 2. This will give us a little more time to see where the high school could possibly be at regarding keeping school running as is or making any type of shift. To be clear, we do not have anything indicating we will be shut down, it is just a precaution. *There are a few families who still have account credits. I will be applying those credits to your 2nd half payment manually and adjusting balances accordingly. Once completed, I will email summaries to those this applies to. PRACTICE UPDATEIn looking ahead at the calendar, we will not be having practice on Saturday, October 31 due to hosting the Big Rivers Conference Swim Meet. We will also not have practice on Thursday, November 25 for Thanksgiving. Our plan is to have Friday, November 26 be practice for our Thursday groups and no practice for our Friday groups that day. This will balance one day of no practice for each group. HELP OCTOBER 31As mentioned above, River Falls will be hosting the girls Conference swim meet on Saturday, October 31. Please check your calendars. RFSC runs the HS meets and we will need help. I will be looking for timers as well as runners. No spectators will be allowed, so this is an opportunity to be able to get in to watch. The teams will be spread out in the gym. Each heat of swimming will be brought in one at a time by escorts to and from the pool. We are working out timelines yet - trying to get the meet done at a reasonable time. I will be reaching out with another email when we know more. DRESS WARMIt is quickly getting very cold outside. With swimmers not able to utilize the locker rooms to change, please do your best to have them bring warm sweats to put on over their suits. There are quite a few swimmers leaving wearing very little. We do our best to make sure they dress warm when they leave the pool so they do not end up sick. Thank you & have a great weekend.
October 11, 2020
Thank you all for your continued patience & understanding as we make our way through this all!